About The VR&E Program
What Is the Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program?
This program's primary function is to help veterans who have service-connected disabilities become suitably employed, maintain employment, or achieve independence in daily living.
Who is Eligible for VR&E Services?
To receive an evaluation for vocational rehabilitation services, a veteran must:
- Have received, or eventually receive, an honorable or other than dishonorable discharge
- Have a VA service-connected disability rating of 10% or more
- Apply for vocational rehabilitation services
The law generally provides for a 12-year basic period of eligibility in which services may be used. The 12-year period begins on the latter of these dates:
- Date of separation from active military duty or
- Date the veteran was first notified of a service-connected disability rating
A Comprehensive Evaluation is completed with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor that includes:
- A full assessment of the veteran's interests, aptitudes, and abilities to determine whether the veteran is "entitled" to VR&E services
- An assessment of whether service-connected disabilities impair the veteran's ability to find and/or hold a job using the occupational skills already attained
- Vocational exploration and goal development
How is Entitlement Determined?
A VA Counselor decides if a veteran has an employment handicap based upon the results of the comprehensive evaluation. Entitlement to services is established if the veteran has a 20% service-connected disability and an employment handicap. If the disability is 10% service-connected, then a serious employment handicap must be found to establish entitlement to vocational rehabilitation services (see definitions for more details).
After an entitlement decision is made, the veteran and the counselor will work together to develop a rehabilitation plan.
What is a Rehabilitation Plan?
A Rehabilitation Plan is a written detailed outline of services provided under the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment program. The following service delivery options may be provided under a Rehabilitation Plan:
- Reemployment with previous employer
- Rapid employment services for new employment
- Employment through long term services
- Independent living services
More Information: Visit the VR&E Program Home Page
No Login? Register for a free account
Interested in applying for VR&E services?